The mouth is so important to our health and I think most of us really don’t understand why good hygiene means better health. So today let’s focus on what is natural oral health, but first…
Research proves that oral disease can contribute to other diseases, some of which includes: cancer, heart disease, Alzheimer’s and diabetes. You are 10 times more likely to experience a fatal heart attack if you have gum disease. Because of an unbalanced microflora or bacteria in the mouth, one could have a 700 percent higher risk for Type 2 diabetes. And John Hopkins researchers found the link between oral health and cancer in this study. Wow!
I have already written extensively on mouth health and you can read more from my post Good Oral Hygiene.
What is good natural oral health?
Good natural oral health is just plain NATURAL! We stay away from introducing chemicals or large amounts of sugar into our bodies. We create good flora and put it back into our system.
Here is a review of some of the ways to do away with the bad bacteria:
- Stay away from silver filings and root canals as much as possible. These metals such as mercury and other foreign materials which are toxins can eventually leak into your bloodstream via mouth absorption.
- Use only natural toothpaste and whitening products and definitely stay away from the fluoride. Read more about the dangers of fluoride here.
- Oil pulling or swishing coconut oil in the mouth for about 5 minutes (then spitting it out) is a therapy that can heal cells, tissue and organs as the body gets rid of its toxic waste such as bacteria, Streptococcus and Candida. There has also been evidence that it can minimize tooth decay and cavities and make teeth brighter.
- Rinse with hydrogen peroxide occasionally to help thwart gum disease. Btw, I don’t really recommend any mouthwashes with chemicals.
- Use cloves or clove oil with any mouth infections. Cloves numb mouth pain naturally and also disinfect the mouth.
- Take garlic capsules before you go to the dentist or a clove of garlic when you return. Anytime you get your teeth cleaned or fixed, there is a ton of bacteria leaked into your gut. Prepare yourself before you go. You’ll find that you are less susceptible to colds during that time as well because bacteria lowers your immune system for a time.
- Taking a probiotic to improve your good gut bacteria is smart as well.
- Most importantly! Watch what you put into your mouth. Sugary drinks and desserts can help to decay teeth fast, not to mention messing with your gut.
Good natural oral health takes work, but in the long run you will be healthier for it!